Monday, August 4, 2008

Thought I'd Share

I wrote this devotion for another group of ladies, but thought I'd share it with you!
John 14:27 NIV “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Daphne did a wonderful job last week explaining this verse in her weekly devotional on stress. She described the Holy Spirit as our Helper, which translates into the word “Advocate”. In verse 26, Jesus explains to his disciples that upon his death the Holy Spirit will come in his place. The “Peace” Jesus is leaving us with, verse 27, is the Holy Spirit.
Peace is defined as freedom from noise, worries, troubles and fears. What do you think of when you hear the word, peace? I think of peace and my mind goes to a day spa, the sound of ocean waves breaking just off the balcony, a good book, and no little boys screaming, “Mama!” Amen!?! =)
As I was praying about this devotion, God led me to another verse through a Beth Moore study. Isaiah 48:17-18 says “I am the Lord your God, who teaches what is best for you, who directs the way you should go. If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.” I love the Word because each and every word was carefully selected by God, 2 Timothy 3:16. I asked God, as I meditated on this scripture, why He chose to compare our peace to a river? With a little help from Beth Moore (I LOVE THAT WOMAN) and a lot of help from My Advocate this is what I came up with:
1. A river is always moving and traveling over rocks, boulders, bends, and rapids. Isn’t it funny that God didn’t compare our peace to a quiet pond or lake? He said in John 16:33b, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” We are going to have trouble because we live in a fallen world, but we can carry our Peace into every situation. As Daughters of the King of Kings we are not slaves to our circumstances because we have a Helper, The Spirit of Jesus Christ dwelling in us. Ephesians 1:19 talks about that power living in us, the same mighty power that raised Jesus from the dead, are you claiming, realizing, and using that power? Are you walking in trails knowing you have the Spirit of God dwelling in you? 1 John 4:4 says, “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you (Christ) is greater than the one of the world.” Only the Creator, the Great I AM, the Prince of Peace, can change or name from worried, fearful, and troubled to “Over-coming One.”
2. A river never stops flowing, so we can’t wait to feel like having peace. Joyce Meyer is always talking about how we walk around saying, “I feel, I feel, I feel, I feel…” Seeking God’s peace is not about feelings or emotions. It’s a CHOICE!!! It’s about choosing to seek His face, Matthew 7:7! First Corinthians 6:19 says “your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit”. We have to ask ourselves – are we making room for The Helper to live in us? When we take even the smallest step towards God, He rushes towards us to wrap us up in His Arms of Peace. John 15:4 PROMISES “Remain in me and I will remain in you.” We have to take EVERY fear, worry, and hurt CAPTIVE and give our mind, heart, and will to God. Romans 8:6 says, “So letting your sinful nature (feelings and emotions) control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control you minds leads to life and peace.” Hallelujah!!!
3. Beth Moore is quoted as saying, “A river begins and ends with a body of water.” The body of water that feeds our river of life is God. Sometimes we don’t want to submit our hurts to Him; instead, we try to fix them ourselves. Our solutions, the world’s solutions, build dams that block all the water and peace God wants to feeds into our river of life. If we don’t let Him, He can’t get His Peace to us- it’s not him withholding it is our own self-built dam not allowing any peace to flow through. Peace like a river is all about submitting all your worries, troubles, hurts, and fears to the Great Authority and TRUSTING HIM to be your solution.
4. The best way to keep that peace flowing like a river is by being in the Word, Isaiah 48:17, talks about seeking His solutions to our problems. The second thing is to “pour out my complaints before Him and tell Him all my troubles. When I am overwhelmed, you alone know the way I should turn,” Psalm 142:2-3. Submitting our fears to the Great Authority, AND trusting Him to be the solution begins on our knees!!!
5. The other side of the river analogy is that our rivers always empty into another large body of water. Some rivers are short (too short) and some rivers are long and twisted with tons of boulders and rapids, but as believers, ALL RIVERS (stay with me I am talking about our lives =) empty into eternity. Sisters – the victory is ours!!! Romans 8:37 says “we are more than conquerors…” Rick Warren says this life is, “a temporary assignment,” so why are we letting the temporary things of this world steal our peace? Christ’s ultimate sacrifice paved our path to glory!!! Can I get an Amen? 1 Corinthians 2:9 says, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.”
”Victory in Jesus, My Savior Forever. He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood.” Victory!!!
Wow!
Breathe in that peace!
Thank you Jesus!!! Amen!!!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online