Wednesday, March 4, 2009

God's Troop Project

This is the second year our church has put together "care packages" for the troop overseas. Each year I no sooner get my mind around what/where I think God is taking this project, and wham! He starts blazing a trail and it's all I can do to keep up with Him. I love, love, LOVE IT!
Above: Posters the girls made to put around the church =)
What's in the "care packages":
1. Beef Jerky (donated by J&J's at cost this year!)
2. Candy
3. Sunflower seeds (donated by Frito Lay!)
4. Baby Wipes (made by my sweet friend Jenni with 1 John 1:9 on the outside of the baggie)
5. Two magazines
6. Sermons on CD from Trey Morgan, Church of Christ in Childress
and Daphne Delay, Family Harvest Church in Seminole
7. 43 hand written letters from the kids (1st-6th grades)
8. Colored Pictures
9. A DVD of the kids take the troops around Levelland, them singing, introducing themselves, introducing Jesus, and thanking the soldiers
10. A devotional
11. Agape
What's Agape?Each bag of Agape includes the following items an slips of paper:
1. Yellow Ribbon – “Yellow Ribbon so you will know you will always be supported until you come home. ‘Be confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.’ Philippians 1:6”
2. Life Saver – “Have a LIFESAVER to remind you that that’s what you are. ‘Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap the harvest if we do not give up.’ Galatians 6:9”
3. Gum – “Gum to help your unit stick together. ‘This is my commandment that you love one another even as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.’ John 15:13
4. Book of Matches – “A MATCH to light your fire when you are feeling burned out. ‘You light a lamp for me. The Lord my God lights up my darkness. In your strength I can crush an army; with my God I can scale any wall. God’s way is perfect. All the Lord’s promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.’ Psalm 18:28-30”
5. Rope – “A piece of ROPE for when you reach the end of yours. This will keep you going a bit longer. ‘The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.’ Deuteronomy 31:8
6. Starburst – “Here’s a STARBURST to give you a burst of energy on days when you don’t have any. ‘The Lord said, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ 2 Corinthians 12:9
7. Cotton Ball – “A COTTON BALL to cushion the rough roads. ‘Jesus said, ‘Come to me all who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.’ Matthew 11:28-30

The girls and the boxes!

Drew's class coloring pictures for the troops!

The boys being boys =)

The bulletin board the girls designed for our church to promote the project!

The bulletin board's border is made-up of letters we received last year from the soldiers!

Some of the letters had the following quotes:
“I watched your DVD ya’ll made and it was very inspiring. Your singing was great. I started loosing touch with Jesus and God but ya’ll helped me to see the light again.” Devin
“I received your care package today…I really think that its awesome that people take the time to love others and share the Lord’s Word with everybody. You may not know it but what you are doing is just as important if not more important than what I am doing. You really showed me why it is I joined the Marine Corps and defend our great nation…” Timothy

“I cannot begin to describe the appreciation and joy your packages have brought me and other marines. It’s great to get a little taste of home after being away for some time…The marines morale definitely seem uplifted and in high spirits after seeing how much time and effort GA’s have put into this. You all are our hero’s for thinking of us…” Ryan
“It’s not often that we hear back from stateside and get reminded of why we really are over here…Again, thank you for all you sent us. Never forget there is always someone fighting for you…” Micheal
I am sharing all this with you to invite you/encourage you to join in with us privately or with your church in six months. FBC Childress will be putting together the same boxes to send overseas. The men and women of our armed forces are fighting not just a physical war but a spiritual war - it is fight for life and death. They are thirsty for the LIVING WATER. The harvest is plentiful and like 1 John 3:18, “Let’s not merely say we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.”
This project is anointed by the Spirit of God...no church, no person could do what God is EASILY accomplishing in this ministry. HE is sending 25o soldiers packages full of HIS WORD. We know that the Word of God NEVER falls, NEVER returns void, but always hits the mark. This ministry now stretches across three towns and four churches. JOIN US!
We are also including a prayer ministry to follow the project. When the men and women receive this box is when the REAL prayer needs to start, so the four churches are going to partner in taking a soldiers name and praying for them for three months. The girls are going to make a key chain with each soldiers name on it, and at the end of that time each prayer partner will be given the opportunity to mail the soldier a letter and the key chain they have been praying over. I am so excited to see what God is going to do with this!
Videoing the tour of Levelland - of course we had to catch the John Deere House, Wal-Mart, and a shot of the massive stretch of flat, dry, farmland =)

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online