Friday, July 18, 2008

The Shack by William Young

This book is a MUST READ. It revealed God's love for me like the Purpose Driven Life revealed my purpose. I am going to break this review into a couple of days because this book deserves it.

The book is fiction - a story about a dad, Mack, dealing with the death of his daughter, Missy. He goes back to the shack where the tragedy happened to find God. But not just God, he finds the Trinity. They explain the trinity by comparing it to an earthly father - who is fully a son, also fully a husband, and fully a father. Mack is able to deal with the grief and anger of his loss through his experiences at the shack.

One topic the book discusses is the fact that God is not the cause for any of the evil things people do in this world. Young says, "just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies...Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

One thought to ponder on today: "All evil flows from independence, and independence is your choice...If I take away the consequences of people's choices, I destroy the possibility of love. Love that is forced is no love at all."
Leave a comment and tell me what you think!!!

2 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I'm SO glad you loved it as much as I did! Don't you want to read it again now?

Carly said...

I think I am going to have to read this book....after I finish my other one. I will have read 2 whole books in probably 6 years. Pathetic, isn't it?

I will be back in town on September 12th for a company meeting. Unfortunately, I'm flying in that morning, and then will fly home that evening. The meeting is a luncheon, I would love to see you guys. Maybe we can work out going to get a drink or ice cream or something on the way to the airport.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online