Wednesday, May 21, 2008

You Have To Read...

I have finished two books in the last five days that I HIGHLY recommend. I will blog about one book today and the other tomorrow:

1. i am not but i know I AM by Louie Giglio:

*One of God's many names is I AM -Exodus 3:14, "God said to Moses, "I AM who I AM. This is what you are to say to the Isrealites: I AM has sent me to you."
In Hebrew I AM is translated into the word Hayah (think of a karate chop) and then translates into the words I BE or BE. Think of the words BEloved and BEcame and BEheld...just a different outlook on the words.

*Giglio's main idea for the book is that God's Story is so huge. When He created us, He loved us enough to ask us to become apart of His story...not our own story but His story. How much time do we spend putting "every ounce of energy into the fragmented story of us?"

*A Few Cool Things I learned...(1) My new name is "i am not"...."i am not in control. i am not the solution. i am not the owner of anything. i am not in charge of anything. i am not holding it all together... i am not but He knows my name. i am not but He pursued me in His love. I am not but I know I AM."
(2) "For every cry there is one answer: I need help. I AM.
What's the latest thing? I AM.
I need a fresh start. I AM.
My vision is bigger than my resources. I AM.
Nothing's real anymore. I AM.
Who can I trust? I AM.
I'm not sure whose on my team. I AM.
Nobody's listening to me. I AM.
I don't have a prayer. I AM.
I am pouring into others, who's pouring into me? I AM.
If I fail who'll get the job done? I AM.
I'm not sure why I am here? I AM.
I'm tired. I AM.
Somebody just hold me. I AM."
(3) My new prayer for humility is that God will get bigger (greater) so that I can get smaller (less).
(4) I have always wondered about the Sabbath day...I have never heard any preacher explain about how to keep the day holy. Giglio says, "When there is no Sabbath in our lives we become intoxicated by the lie that the sum of our lives depends on our effort alone. We get to the place where we truly believe that the outcome of the story fully depends on us. Sabbath rest is (us) in His lap. Our inner calm waits within His embrace...For when we tirelessly toil, as thought that's what it takes to keep our ship afloat, we steal God's glory, elevating ourselves as sole providers and sustainers of all we have and are. By refusing to slow down and bring things to a halt, we are telling God He is not enough for us." We might as well say, "God, if I don't do my part the entire world will quit turning." Sabbath rest is about us realizing that "He is the only one capable of doing anything eternal in and through me."
"(It) is Christ in you the hope of glory." Colossians 1:27
How about you and I honor God this week "not with busyness, but with stillness."
(5) The One-Word Bible Study Method...meditating on one word a day...letting each word dwell with in us.

I highly recommend this book. It is an easy read, but one of those books you could read 3 times and still learn something different. I big shout out to Ms. Jerri Ann for buying this book for me when I worked the last Emmaus Walk!!!

1 comment:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Is the other one Blue Like Jazz? Can't wait to hear what you thought about it!!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online