Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Amazing Grace

Definitions of grace - "unmerited favor", "God's riches at Christ's expense" and the new one I studied yesterday "God abounding toward man". The text says you can visually see God's grace if you "Imagine yourself standing still while God runs or abounds toward you with everything that pertains to life and godliness." I just closed my eyes and saw God just bringing me everything I need to experience joy and peace, and Him implorin and begging me to open my eyes and accept His gifts.

I was studying last night about Ephesians 1:2. "May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace." I have to admit something here...I usually skim when I read...I like the meat and not all the details, so when I read the intros to Ephesians, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Philippians, and Colossians, I have missed this identical introduction in all of them. If I had paid more attention I would have realized in each one the word grace comes before the word peace. We all know God's word is perfect...even the numbers he uses like 3, 7, and 10. So why didn't I notice this before? Well the text I was reading explains it like this, "people are so wrapped up in their own self-efforts that they never have peace. They remained frustrated. They are trying to work to please God. However, the thing about working to please God is that you never know when you have done enough or performed well enough to meet His requirements...But, when you understand His grace, when you understand that God has already done all the work, then all you need to do is receive His gifts of grace. All the pressure is off, and peace is the result." So simple...so cool!!!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online